Forensic Medical Exams are head to toe examinations of the body, by a specially trained medical provider. During the exams, the medical provider assesses for child abuse injuries or neglect. This medical evaluation is usually not painful or invasive.
Why is the exam important?
- To ensure the health and well being of a child
- To reassure the child that everything is okay with their body
- To diagnose and treat medical conditions that may be related to abuse
- To document any possible physical and forensic findings
- To allow for collection of evidence that is present on the child’s body or clothing